Friday, March 28, 2008

Fashion Disaster

Oh My GAWD!!! I am so glad that I'm heading back home today because I cannot sit through another fashion show this week. Last night's St. Louis Fashion Week show had so many designers showing that it was passed most of the models' curfews by the time the show was over.
It doesn't help that the shows all start late, but when one tries to cram more than a handful of designers in a single night, you are setting yourself up for disaster.
What is really unfortunate is that a large part of the crowd just up and left! There were a few fantastic, up and coming, designers that were showing toward the last half of the show and I think they really got gypped.

Jamie Phyl and I got to talk briefly before the fashion show . What a great young lady and fabulous designer. She told me that her inspiration for some of the collection showing at St. Louis Fashion Week was the fabulous Jackie O. And oh my...it certainly showed in this fabulous yellow ensemble, complete with large, fabric-covered buttons. It's easy to see why Jamie is gaining notoriety very quickly around the country!

I also loved designs by ZETO, English Clientele and Sohung Designs. Photos, video and hopefully some interviews will be ready for you next week on the Haute Market Style File page.

My sources tell me that backstage was an unorganized mess with too many inexperienced interns trying to run things. Other than the tardiness of the show, you could not tell that things were amiss because what the designers sent down the runway was, for the most part, executed flawlessly. The models rocked the catwalk! Those poor girls were hungry, tired and walking in shoes that did not fit. Several fell out of the shoes but those pro's kept on walking like nothing happened. Kudos to them all!
Designers...my heart goes out to you. I can only hope that the trunk shows you are holding this week give people a chance to really see your designs and appreciate your efforts.

If you are in St. Louis today, make sure you stop by The Time Boutique from 12-4pm to see the work of Phyl Couture, ZETO, Sohung and many others.

I'm heading home to KC now. Hopefully I'll be back to visit you soon, St. Louis. Haute Market is hot to get here and show the St. Louis fashionistas a good time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there-- First, I love your blog!
My name is Rachel McCalla and I was the runway coordinator for St. Louis Spring Fashion Week.

I'm writing to set the record strait about the Emerge Show on Thursday during St. Louis Fashion Week.

First let me say, you are right. Emerge was incredibly ambitious and as a result lasted too long. However, your "source" is dead wrong about the back of the house management.

As you state in your blog, "Other than the tardiness of the show, you could not tell that things were amiss because what the designers sent down the runway was, for the most part, executed flawlessly." The looks were flawless because there was an entire PROFESSIONAL team running the show back stage, including two certified Redken Salons (nine hair looks throughout the show), an entire M.A.C. Pro team (five make-up looks throughout the show) and a seasoned crew of dressers and coordinators, not to mention each designer, the fashion editor of Alive Magazine, and a make-up/hair supervisor. All designers received their own fitting during the day and they determined their run of show. One designer actually took Polaroid pictures for our team to follow! Hair and make-up looks were determined and practiced multiple times by our teams weeks leading up to the show.

Does your "source" actually believe that designers such as Amahlia Stevens (Vitamin A Swimwear) or Yana Khromova (Yana K) would send their lines to a show that's run by interns?

Let me assure you and your "source" that a show of that scale could not have happened without the expertise and dedication of a seasoned, experienced team. I honestly do not understand how you can say that Emerge was a Fashion disaster when you clearly remark that the clothes (i.e. fashion) were flawless?

I belive you owe it to your readers to present a “valid source” for your blog. You should also know that I am a private contractor who Alive hires to help with their shows. I am writing because I worked hard on all of the shows and feel that the back of house team's voice should be heard.

Thank you so much for covering Fashion Week. I hope you come again.

Rachel McCalla
Lucky You Productions

Anonymous said...

In response to Rachel's comments, let me say I was the source. I am Jennifer Gray and I own The Time Boutique. Rachel is correct each designer did have a fitting on the day of show. To be clear the show was staffed by salon professionals, a few paid staff of Alive Magazine and a large amount of interns "hired" just for this week, including my 16 year old son and his friend. I personally brought in 7 designers from NYC that showed during the Thursday show. I saw up close and personal every aspect of the show - this show had disaster written all over it from day 1. From the broken promises (legal contract) made by Alive and Attilio to the lack of communication and lies to the designers, the media and my boutique. Designers were told they would be presenting to buyers of boutiques from the region, not true. The majority of the audience was retail consumers, models friends and family and local media. WWD did a small review, as they have a local reporter. Designers were told to send clothing one week in advance for fittings. The fittings did not happen until the day of show with tired models, a shoe disaster and 2 designers using the majority of the time allotted to make frivolous request at the expense of the other 11 designers time. I can appreciate that Rachel saves face for this disaster since she was paid to provide a service however this was a train wreck no one should have been watching.

Jennifer Gray
The Time Boutique
922 Washington Avenue
St Louis, MO 63101